Especially during the summer months, your backyard garden or yard can be the most pleasant area in your home. It is therefore important to have a good view of that space and to have an easy way of getting out there. There are two types of doors you may consider. Sliding patio doors may well give you a bigger view. Swinging French garden doors may allow slightly easier entrance and exit.
There are several other factors you should consider which we discuss in the following sections.
Sliding Patio Doors
The overriding consideration in this door choice is the question of how well the style of the door fits in with the overall style of the house. Sliding patio doors are usually found in more modern homes. In older homes, French garden doors may be more appropriate.
Here are some reasons why sliding patio doors may work better for you:
- They do not take up interior space and so are ideal for smaller homes
- They have a more contemporary look if your home has a modern design
- Both young and old find them easy to operate
- They allow more light to enter the room and give a better view to the outside
- They are low-maintenance
- They typically cost less
Sliding patio doors do have a few disadvantages:
- The sliding track requires a more prominent threshold, which may possibly trip those who forget that it is there
- In an older home, such doors may appear out of place
French Garden Doors
These garden doors, which open and close on hinges, have been the standard choice over the years. They usually come at a higher price but you won’t regret it as you open them on a gorgeous day and let fresh air into your home.
Here are some of the reasons why people choose French garden doors:
- They make an impressive change to the appearance of your home
- They provide an ideal frame to your view of the outdoors
- They come in many different styles and finishes to suit your own tastes
- You may be able to add certain design features to these doors
- A multipoint locking system can be arranged to secure the door in two or more positions for added security
- Having a sill instead of a track cuts down the risk of someone tripping
There are some disadvantages associated with French garden doors:
- They do require floorspace for opening and closing
- They can reduce the amount of visible light that enters the home
- As mentioned they will often cost more than sliding doors
Making the choice
Choosing either swinging or sliding doors will ultimately be up to you based on what you find important. Often involving an expert in discussing what is available can help you in making that choice. One of our consultants will be most happy to discuss with you on a non-obligation basis what may work best for you.